Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 2 1/2 hours
1. Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight, or cover with water, bring to boil, cover with lid and let sit for 1 hour.
2. Drain beans and refill the pot with chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans with 2 inches of liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir beans occasionally throughout the entire cooking process to make sure they do not stick.
4. Stir beer, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, cilantro and ham into the beans. Continue to cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until beans are tender. Add water as needed during cooking.
5. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts240 calories
4 grams fat
15 mg cholesterol
950 mg sodium
34 grams carbohydrate
6 grams fiber
16 grams protein