Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place butternut squash chunks on a large baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the squash and toss.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender, turning once.
3. While the butternut squash is roasting, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain well and set aside.
4. Add butternut squash to food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add in ½ cup of the milk and puree again.
5. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter is melted whisk in the flour.
6. Cook for 2–3 minutes, whisking constantly. Add remaining 2 cups of milk and whisk until mixture is smooth.
7. Turn heat to high and bring to a rolling boil while continuing to whisk.
8. After sauce has thickened, turn heat to low and whisk in butternut squash mixture.
9. Add the cooked macaroni to the pan and stir until the macaroni noodles are well coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
10. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish. Pour half of the macaroni noodles into the pan.
11. Sprinkle half of the cheddar over the macaroni noodles.
12. Add the remaining noodles and then top with the remaining cheese. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, if desired.
13. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly.
14. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition FactsCalories: 250
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Sodium: 400 mg
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 10 g
Cholesterol: 25 mg